FULL TIME REGULAR
Kativik Ilisarniliriniq is a school board offering educational services in the 14 communities of Nunavik.
FUNCTION & DUTIES:
Under the supervision of the Coordinator of Certification, the role of guidance counsellor is to evaluate, advise, guide and support students in the youth and adult sectors in developing their career plans and in choosing an educational path suited to their personal characteristics and goals. This position includes the following responsibilities:
- Participate in developing and implementing an academic and vocational guidance service that meets the academic and administrative requirements of both the MEES and the school board;
- Evaluate students with respect to their interests, aptitudes, abilities, personality, professional experiences and personal needs, using various and appropriate methods;
- Help students in self-analysis and building an overall image of themselves, exploring and clarifying his or her situation and determining personal and professional goals, grasping the information received, understanding, assuming and overcoming their personal and social problems;
- Provide support to students in their search for means aimed at enabling them to overcome the difficulties associated with their educational profile and their social and employment integration;
- Contribute to the detection and identification of students experiencing difficulties, using an approach focussing on prevention and intervention; he or she works with a multidisciplinary team to prepare and review a student’s individualized education plan by including, in the plan, his or her action plan, if necessary and provides progress reports, briefings and recommendations to management staff;
- Participate in defining intervention objectives and means through collaboration with other team members and departments to harmonize and coordinate interventions and to assess the achievement of objectives;
- Give advice to school resources and parents, provide them with documentation, and suggest activities that enable them to identify contributing factors to the student’s personal, academic and professional progress;
- Plan, organize and deliver academic and vocational information activities dealing with program requirements, professions and market trends, and ensure the purchase and update of specialized reference materials (magazines, CD-ROM, software or others) and provides support to the students and staff using them;
- Establish and maintain relationships and collaboration with representatives of the labour market, parents and community members that could be involved in providing and supporting academic and vocational guidance to students;
- Prepare and update files according to the standards associated with the practice of the profession and the rules defined by the school board and MEES;
- Prepare progress notes or evaluation, end-of-process and follow-up reports on interventions performed;
- Any other related duties as requested by the immediate supervisor.
Member of the Ordre des conseillers et conseillères d’orientation et des psychoéducateurs et psychoéducatrices du Québec.
The Board may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the afore-mentioned qualifications if it finds a suitable candidate who is a beneficiary of the James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement (JBNQA) and who accepts, as a condition of employment, to follow a training plan determined by the Board.
- Frequent travel to all of the 14 communities of Nunavik.;
- Knowledge of Nunavik and its students.
CLASSIFICATION / SALARY / BENEFITS:
In accordance with the SPPOM collective agreement for professionals / From $45 420 to $78 640 annually depending on qualification and experience.
In addition to salary, you may be eligible to other benefits such as:
- 20 days of annual vacation
- 2 weeks of vacation during Holiday season
and, when applicable, other benefits such as:
- Summer schedule
- Northern allowance
- Social trips
- Food cargo
All benefits are prorated based on the percentage of the task.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS: 4:00 pm, January 24, 2020
(Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.)